Sunday, November 2, 2008

Something about Brida

I've been reading Brida by Paulo Coelho for quite sometime now (i've left the book in marikina... i have been staying at our house in san mateo for the past week) and a certain question in the first few chapters of the book has constanly been running in my mind.

It was the question asked by Magus to Brida that will determine if she will be accepted as his student. There is no right or wrong answer but she must provide an honest answer.

The question: Would you give up everthing you had learned until then - all the possibilities and all the mysteries that the world of magic could offer you - in order to stay with the love of your life?

I've discussed this with few friends and reconstructed this question as "will you give up your goals to be with the person you love?". We have come up with "ifs" before answering this question. like:

... if he/she really loves me he/she won't make me choose
... if he/she is the right person, then probably I will
...etc, etc, etc...

Some just gave an outright "No" but none willingly said "yes" without the word "if" following their affirmation.

My answer to question was:

"Yes... If I didn't get the scholarship, If I won't become an FSO, or a diplomat or everything I thought I would be, I know that I will be disappointed... but If I won't have the kind of family I've always wanted (and prayed), I will be broken hearted. I think, I can deal with disappointment but not a broken heart"

Looking back, I'm not sure if my answer is idealist or just plain stupid. I know that I still want to get a scholarship, to become an FSO, diplomat and to be a lot of things. But I also know that eventhough I get all that, if I had no one to share it with, I will be extremely lonely.

I just hope and pray that I'll achieve my goals and make my dreams into a reality - to be the person I've always wanted to be with a healthy, stable and loving relationship with the family I built.

No comments: