Sunday, February 10, 2008

Something about Koreanovelas...

I have always enjoyed watching koreanovelas. It all started with the Endless love series and got more hooked after watching Song Hye Kyo in Full House as she played Han Ji Eun (Jessie Han in the tagalized version).

A couple of months ago, just before starting this blog, I swore to stop watching korean soaps because it made me (more) idealistic. I've always believed in true love, in soulmates, in finding/waiting for that special someone who would give me a kind of love that will last for a life time. I have always thought that I was this kind of person that is worth waiting, worth pursuing, worth loving.

Having to grow up in a family that turned romantic movies into reality made me more akin to believe that there exists a perfect love story. The moment I heard my grandma's story on how she met lolo made me feel that I too, will have that kind of story. The way she described me the place she met lolo, how she got there and how she unknowingly made him fall in love with her made me believe that just like her, I will experience that kind of love and story with this special person that God destined for me.

Few months ago, I thought I had met him. It was the first time I actually felt connected with someone. It was the first time I genuinely fell in love, the first time I took a risk and the first time (and hopefully the last) I really got hurt. I knew that I have fallen before, but what I felt at that time was different but like the other times, the outcome was still the same. I got hurt and he moved on. At that time, I swore never to watch romantic comedies, read books about true love and of course stop my obsession with koreanovela.

I swore not to be over dramatic, to change my thinking about love and life... to simply put, to stop being me - optimistic, childlike and hopelessly romantic. I promised never to think about him and when his thought came rushing in my head, I try to brush it off by all means... going to the gym, writing, watching movies, going out with friends and I even tried dating...

I find it stupid on how women koreanovela choose when it comes to love triangles. They often fell in love with a hard headed man who always hurt them and take them for granted. Whereas, there is another man, who would give everything to them if only they would give them a chance. I always exclaimed that if I were Han Ji-Eun (Jessie Han) of Full House, or Shin Chae-Kyeong (Janelle Shin) of Princess Hours, or Park Eun-young (Ariane) of Spring Waltz I will choose Yoo Min-Hyuk (Luigi Yoo) over Lee Young-Jae (Justin Lee), Lee Yool (Troy Lee) over Lee Shin (Gian Lee) and Phillip over Yoon Jae Ha (Christian).

Its funny when you find yourself in a middle between two persons who says they love you, one who treated you well and the other who for the most part makes you cry... You will choose the one who hurts you and just see the other one as a friend.

Few months after, after the so called drama in your life, you still find yourself watching romantic comedies, reading love stories and obsessing with koreanovelas... and as much as everyone feels that you haven't change, you know that deep down inside that you have. That eventhough you still believe in true love, in waiting and in soulmates... something is missing and you know it will never be the same... And as much as you want everything to go back to normal, you know that at that moment it is not possible and all you can do is hope and pray that someday it will...

No comments: