Friday, February 8, 2008

Something about the A Walk To Remember Syndrome...

"Love is Patient. Love is Kind. It does not Envy. It does not boast. It is not proud. It is not rude. It is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves"
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-7


I first heard of this quotation when I watched A Walk to Remember on cinema with my brother. I must admit that even though I graduated in a Catholic University, I am not familiar with the different passages in the bible. This particular verse enticed me because of how it defines love as something self less and pure.

The movie itself was very appealing especially for people who believes in true love, in sacrifices and in waiting. In the movie, Jamie Sullivan would always say "I'll pray for you" to Landon Carter. In the book, it was impliedly stated that what she really meant was "I'll pray for you to love me". The love she shared with Landon Carter was an answered prayer and a special gift from God that she considers a miracle.

There was a scene in the movie where Landon said "She makes me want to be different...better". As soon as I have heard this line and coupled with my tendency to be overly romantic, I got infected with a social disease that I would like to call "A Walk to Remember Syndrome".

People affected by this syndrome usually has a tendency to bring out the best in individuals. It usually makes a person a hopeless romantic, a patient lover and relatively, a more forgiving person. At its worst, this syndrome makes a person to be to be overly vulnerable and gullible. The effects of the "A Walk to Remember Syndrome" is mostly dependent on the characteristics on an individual. Its outcome my either be good or bad, depending on the situation, faith and emotional prowess of an individual.

A lot of people suffers from this syndrome, especially the ones who fall in love deeply and/or easily. But if we are the kinds of person who loves patiently, kindly, unselfishly and purely, having the "A Walk to Remember Syndrome" is something that we should not be afraid of... hence, it should be something that we should be proud of.

*********************************
Cry
From the Movie "A Walk To Remember"
Sung by Mandy Moore

I'll always remember
It was late afternoon
It lasted forever
And ended too soon
You were all by yourself
Staring up at a dark gray sky
I was changed

In places no one would find
All your feelings so deep inside (deep inside)
It was then that I realized
That forever was in your eyes
The moment I saw you cry

The moment that I saw you cry

It was late in september
And I've seen you before (and you were)
You were always the cold one
But i was never that sure
You were all by yourself
Staring at a dark gray sky
I was changed

In places no one would find
All your feelings so deep inside (deep inside)
It was then that I realized
That forever was in your eyes
The moment I saw you cry

I wanted to hold you
i wanted to make it go away
I wanted to know you
I wanted to make your everything, all right....

I'll always remember...
It was late afternoon...
In places no one would find...

In places no one would find
All your feelings so deep inside (deep inside)
It was then that I realized
That forever was in your eyes
The moment I saw you cry

No comments: