Thursday, November 29, 2007

Something about this day...

I admit, I am a total clutz. Marami na akong nabasag na pinggan, baso at bote ng soft drinks. Ilang beses na rin akong nadapa at natapilok. I also lack sense of direction at ilang beses na rin ako naligaw (this is another story), pero ngayong araw na to nagasgasan ang tuhod ko...



Though maliit lang ang sugat ko, makirot din naman ito... pero walang sinabi ang naramdaman ko sa naramdamang takot ng mga kababayan natin sa makati ngayong hapon.

Around lunch time, I heard my uncle saying there's a coup d'é·tat attempt at Makati held by the Magdalo Group. I immediately went to GMA and ABS-CBN's web site to find out what was really going on. I learned that Senator Antonio Trillanes and Brig. Gen. Danilo Lim were calling for the resignation of the President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo. Sen. Trillanes was allegedly involved in the Oakwood Mutiny in July 2003. The duo was supported by former Vice President Teofisto Guingona and if I my memory serves me right, they marched up from Makati Trial Court (where the trial for the Oakwood Mutiny was held) to Manila Peninsula. I was scared of what was happening and my primarily concern was the safety of my friends (who are in makati area) and the possible effects of these events in the economy and the political stability of the country. The government gave them an ultimatum to surrender at 3 pm.

Later in the afternoon, I received a phone call from one of my friends saying that they received an email from HR that all night shift employees are advised not to come to work that day. I immediately tuned in to the latest news and found out that:

1. Trillanes and company are already inside Manila Peninsula Hotel
2. Manila Peninsula's guests are being evacuated from its premise but media personalities refused to leave.
3. A tank entered Manila Peninsula's lobby and the Special Weapons and Tactics commandos (SWAT) were outside Manila Pen to arrest the rebel soldiers, they were wearing gas masks.
4. Tear gas were fired inside the hotel. According to the news, gunshots were also heard.
5. Eventually, the rebel soldiers surrendered. Trillanes said that they decided to come out for the safety of the civilians.

After they surrendered, media men who stayed at the hotel's premise were arrested and the videos they got were allegedly confiscated. Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro said that they received an information that some rebel soldiers might disguised themselves as members of the media and that is the reason why they took into custody the journalists still present in the location.
Later, it was also announced that there will be a curfew starting at 12 midnight to 5am. It was a good thing that all night shift workers are exempted from this. At least we know that some business will still function normally.

Some people were also thankful for the presence of the media men during the siege. They felt that without them, it might have ended with blood shed. The event that occurred today brought up different points of views. Some believed that it was necessary and others thought that it was a waste of time that caused an abrupt business and brought in another reason why the country is unstable.

At the moment, I am just relieved that no one was hurt during the incident.
I just hope that the same will be said to our country.

No comments: